This is a great recipe for when you have different berries and wish to mix them together in a jam. On our property, we have currants, blueberries, huckleberries, blackberries, salmonberries ... and lots more! Sometimes, it's fun to just throw them all together!
First off, I assume you know something about home canning. If not, there are tutorials on this website to help you along.
You will need:
1) Four cups berries of your choice
2) One package of liquid pectin
3) Three cups sugar
4) 6 or 7 half-pint canning jelly jars
To make jam:
1) Prepare jars and lids as you normally would - put jars in canning pot and heat to just under boiling - wash lids and rings in hot soapy water. Rinse and set aside.
2) Put berries in an 8-quart saucepan. Heat to a boil, gradually mixing in pectin.
3) When it reaches a boil that can't be stirred down, add all the sugar. Mix and return to a roiling boil for one minute.
4) Ladle into hot jelly jars, leaving one half inch headspace and all the other normal precautions. Wipe rims and affix lid and rings.
5) Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Remove and let rest for 24 hours before moving.
That's it! :)
Be the first to comment.